MAMP setup with Macports?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Nov 21 08:54:28 PST 2007

On Nov 21, 2007, at 10:17 AM, James Berry wrote:
> I don't know where this stands, exactly, but it _would_ be really
> cool if getting mysql5 to run was only a matter of:
>
> 	- sudo port install mysql5 +server

Why not a new port, mysql5-server (which depends on mysql5 and then
does the appropriate setup?)

> 	- sudo port load mysql5
>
> 	(and the the end result of this would be that the server is
> actually running and usable)

mysql5-server would have the startupitem foo (we would still want/need
'port load' to get the server started up).

> Of course at the moment, that doesn't work, because:
>
> 	- You have to apply a default my.cnf file
> 	- You have to do various database setup things

This stuff could be set up in the mysql5-server port

> Potential enhancements:
>
> 	- port load command
> 	- automated way to specify that default conf files be applied

It would be nice to have ports be able to mark conf files somehow so
we can treat them specially (ie automatically install default ones
without them being uninstalled/replaced when upgrading)

> 	- usable activation phase?

Are you thinking of having 'activate' run for direct mode too here?
(or what?)

--
Daniel J. Luke