New website done!

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Thu Nov 22 15:30:15 PST 2007

On 2007-11-22 15:38:50 -0400, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
> On Nov 22, 2007, at 3:28 PM, William Davis wrote:
>> More important, further down the page has:
>>
>> Add an appropriate X11 DISPLAY environment variable to run X11
>> dependent programs.
>>
>> Im not sure you wish to do that with Leopard.  In my own case, I have
>> no ~/.xinitrc nor any DISPLAY=0.0 (or any other value), and this seems
>> to give the best results.....
>> (in other words letting the system set configuration for me.)
>
> 	I'll look into that shortly, I haven't played with X11 under
> Leopard yet so I wouldn't know what's best to advise. Thanks for
> bringing it up, though.

I don't have Leopard yet, but there have been discussions in the
x11-users Apple list. On Leopard, DISPLAY is set to some special
value so that the X11 server can be started automatically. So,
setting it to :0 may break things. From one of the latest mail
from Ben Byer:

* Various X11 application .app bundles are now broken because they
explicitly set $DISPLAY and/or try to launch X11 for you.

and the explanation from an earlier one:

The way that this is accomplished is by some slight-of-hand with the
$DISPLAY variable -- if you look, it should be something like "/tmp/
launch-vbXRyu/:0".  If an X client connects to this, it will actually
connect to launchd, which will start Xquartz if needed and pass the
client's socket to the server.

All of that should be invisible to you; the X client library
(libX11.dylib) was modified to support this, and all X11 applications link
against this library.   "DISPLAY=:0" would still work if X11.app is already
running, but it will not trigger X11 to launch.

BTW, I suppose that the X11 apps from MacPorts should also by linked
to this modified library.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>