New website done!

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Fri Nov 23 13:32:01 PST 2007

On Nov 22, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> I don't have Leopard yet, but there have been discussions in the
> x11-users Apple list. On Leopard, DISPLAY is set to some special
> value so that the X11 server can be started automatically. So,
> setting it to :0 may break things. From one of the latest mail
> from Ben Byer:
>
> * Various X11 application .app bundles are now broken because they
> explicitly set $DISPLAY and/or try to launch X11 for you.
>
> and the explanation from an earlier one:

> The way that this is accomplished is by some slight-of-hand with the
> $DISPLAY variable -- if you look, it should be something like "/tmp/
> launch-vbXRyu/:0".  If an X client connects to this, it will actually
> connect to launchd, which will start Xquartz if needed and pass the
> client's socket to the server.
>
> All of that should be invisible to you; the X client library
> (libX11.dylib) was modified to support this, and all X11
> applications link
> against this library.   "DISPLAY=:0" would still work if X11.app is
> already
> running, but it will not trigger X11 to launch.
>
> BTW, I suppose that the X11 apps from MacPorts should also by linked
> to this modified library.

	Mr. Almighty Bbyer himself maintains our Xorg based X11 ports now ;-)
So maybe he can chime in and advise...?

	In any case, I've been playing with X11 on Leopard lately but haven't
been able to experience this functionality, if I unset the DISPLAY
variable I simply can't open X11 programs from Terminal.app (even
Apple provided ones under /usr/X11/bin); no launchd magic happens and
all I get are "can't find display" errors (even though I do have a /
tmp/launch-QLJ9Yh/\:0 sockect). Guess I need to look into the matter
more thoroughly, I do have a highly customized environment after all.

	Regardless, I'll add the corrections to our X11 advise on install.php
as soon as I get a chance.

	Regards,...

-jmpp