Port version 1.520: py-gnome is inconsistent.

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Fri Nov 23 19:48:51 PST 2007

First thing I did was port -d selfupdate. port --version says:
	MacPorts 1.520
and goes into interactive mode.

I started out trying to install meld. That apparently is an infinite
task. After waiting over 5 minutes for port to stop what seemed to be
an infinite loop of scanning dependencies, I went after it by hand
and started installing the pieces. Until I found an inconsistency. I
went after port deps on all the parts looking for where the problem
was. Had I known it would have taken me 3 hours, I wouldn't have
bothered. But since I spent the time looking (and I started bottom
up :(, so I didn't find this very quickly) I wanted to raise this issue:

(Eliding the branches of dependencies which aren't relevant to this
conflict...)

meld depends on py-gnome and py-gtk2

py-gnome depends on libzvt and py-gtk2

libzvt depends on gnome_session depends on control-center depends on
nautilus depends on eel depends gnome_menus depends on py25_gtk2 (!)
depends on py25_cairo

py_gtk2 depends on py_cairo

py25_cairo and py_cairo cannot be installed at the same time:

# port install py25-cairo
--->  Activating py25-cairo 1.4.0_1
Error: Target org.macports.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
include/pycairo/pycairo.h is being used by the active py-cairo port.
Please deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the
activation.

HELP!

		--Doug

P.S. Sometime during those three hours I think I ran into another
py-... py25-... conflict which in my focus on this one, I didn't
record :(,  trying to get meld installed, but I don't know if it was
also a py-gnome problem or not...