1.6.0 sometime late next week

Randall Wood rhwood at mac.com
Sat Nov 24 02:02:21 PST 2007

On 24 Nov 2007, at 04:43, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> Is there any reason not to simply state that Panther users need
>>> to download the 1.5.2 disk image and install from that and ensure
>>> that selfupdate is run (if it isn't already run during the
>>> install from the disk image)?
>>
>> 	That's certainly an alternative, sure. If we don't get anyone to
>> produce a Panther dmg for 1.6.0 we could definitely go that way.
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Let's produce a Panther disk image. I can scare up a Panther
> machine if necessary.
>
> Randall, I assume you meant the 1.5.0 disk image, since we don't
> have disk images for minor versions, only major versions.
>
>>> Also is there any reason not to use our sourceforge site as the
>>> download source?
>>
>> 	Sorry, didn't remember we had a presence there ;-) How would we
>> go about using it? We would still get our release products up on
>> our own site & repository, but if we can also leverage the
>> sourceforge distribution engine, then by all means! Can you please
>> coordinate that?
>
> I didn't know we had a presence on SourceForge. They have lots of
> services: downloads, issue tracker, mailing lists, web site. Should
> we start using those as well? I would say no. We already have an
> issue tracker, mailing lists, and web site through Mac OS Forge,
> and we have thus far hosted downloads there as well. Let's continue
> to host downloads and everything else with Mac OS Forge as well. If
> Mac OS Forge's download system is insufficient, we should bring
> that up with Mac OS Forge management, not jump ship to SourceForge.
> I think we shouldn't be using SourceForge for anything. Not that I
> have anything against them at all. We just already have
> alternatives. Let's keep everything in one place.

The only really possibly useful service for us that SourceForge (SF)
has is that massive geographically dispersed mirrored download service.

We snagged a SF site (http://sf.net/projects/macports) because a
simple search brought up some macports* sites at SF, and so that
someone could not pull a darwinports.com on us, we have it now.
http://macports.sourceforge.net redirects to http://www.macports.org

 From personal experience, SF's tracker is difficult to use, their
mailing list service is identical to macosforge's. I have tickets to
allow us to point users back to our own services, but doubt I'll get
a positive response back soon. If a MacPorts Foundation ever stands
up, we could leverage some other related SF services in that regard,
but doubt we'll need to.

Randall Wood
rhwood at mac.com
http://shyramblings.blogspot.com

"The rules are simple: The ball is round. The game lasts 90 minutes.
All the
rest is just philosophy."