[31434] trunk/dports/x11/gtk2/Portfile

Eric Hall opendarwin.org at darkart.com
Thu Nov 29 15:52:04 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:54:40PM -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 3:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >>	This is breaking installs of wireshark (and I expect
> >>other ports that depend on gtk2) where the user doesn't have gtk2
> >>installed already.  Unless a mechanism to define the needed
> >>variant in the depspec has been added, can we revert this change,
> >>or otherwise set it so that x11 is the default?
> >
> >It's not *breaking* installs of wireshark, is it? It's just popping
> >up a message that they must select either x11 or quartz, right? And
> >if they then install gtk2 with x11 or quartz, they can install
> >wireshark, right?
>

> Well, it does break 'port install foo' which should probably always
> work (and install whatever the maintainer has decided the default set
> of features should be).

	Right, its not preventing someone from going through all the
steps to install wireshark, it does break 'port install wireshark' (or
foo) when the user hasn't already installed gtk2 (+x11, no idea
how well +quartz works with wireshark).  I agree that 'port install
foo' should always work.
	If there's a way to specify 'gtk2 +x11' I'm all for adding
that to the wireshark (and other) ports, I don't think there is yet
(and I'm happy to be corrected).

		-eric