Split Trunk

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 02:24:55 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> For what purpose? We already have the situation that when we want to
> make, say, both apache 2.0 and apache 2.2 available, we create two
> ports: apache20 and apache2, respectively. This works fine. What do you
> need in addition to that?

One could choose which version to install without loosing dependencies.
For example, all of our *-devel ports are useless because they break the
depedencies.
For example, you can't install something like apache2-devel and add
php5, because php5 depends on the normal apache2.

With multiple version per port this would be possible. But it would also
require the introduction of new commands that allow a port to depend on
at least a specific version of another port.

We could mark the different versions as "stable" or "unstable". With
this approach we would get a better environment to test port upgrades
with beta versions or release candidates.

Rainer