Split Trunk

Emmanuel Hainry ehainry at free.fr
Thu Oct 4 13:32:23 PDT 2007

Citando Rainer Müller :
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> > For what purpose? We already have the situation that when we want to
> > make, say, both apache 2.0 and apache 2.2 available, we create two
> > ports: apache20 and apache2, respectively. This works fine. What do you
> > need in addition to that?
>
> One could choose which version to install without loosing dependencies.
> For example, all of our *-devel ports are useless because they break the
> depedencies.
> For example, you can't install something like apache2-devel and add
> php5, because php5 depends on the normal apache2.
>
> With multiple version per port this would be possible. But it would also
> require the introduction of new commands that allow a port to depend on
> at least a specific version of another port.
>
> We could mark the different versions as "stable" or "unstable". With
> this approach we would get a better environment to test port upgrades
> with beta versions or release candidates.

Being a simple maintainer, I would say that dependencies on specific
version (à la debian "this software require thingy version > 2.2.17 but
it is not going to be installed") would make me unable to manage
seriously my ports.

The not too untractable point however would be to introduce some
metaports (for example, musicpd can be provided by mpd or mpd-dev), and
dependencies would be put to the metaport instead of one of the
providing ports. It can at the moment be achieved through the old
dependency scheme (sthg like depends_lib bin:mpd:mpd-devel) but that
scheme cannot discriminate between something provided by macports and
something provided by apple or another source.

Emmanuel