Split Trunk

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Oct 4 15:06:35 PDT 2007

Emmanuel Hainry wrote:
> Being a simple maintainer, I would say that dependencies on specific
> version (à la debian "this software require thingy version > 2.2.17 but
> it is not going to be installed") would make me unable to manage
> seriously my ports.

Why? I just don't get this point.

> The not too untractable point however would be to introduce some
> metaports (for example, musicpd can be provided by mpd or mpd-dev), and
> dependencies would be put to the metaport instead of one of the
> providing ports.

Okay, let's call it "metaport". But it is the same thing you are
describing. A port which provides multiple versions of a software.

Nevertheless, dependencies have to go in each version of a port. A
development snapshot could have completely different dependencies than
the current "stable" version.

Rainer