Split Trunk

N_Ox n.oxyde at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:02:15 PDT 2007

Le 4 oct. 07 à 22:32, Emmanuel Hainry a écrit :

> Citando Rainer Müller :
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> For what purpose? We already have the situation that when we want to
>>> make, say, both apache 2.0 and apache 2.2 available, we create two
>>> ports: apache20 and apache2, respectively. This works fine. What
>>> do you
>>> need in addition to that?
>>
>> One could choose which version to install without loosing
>> dependencies.
>> For example, all of our *-devel ports are useless because they
>> break the
>> depedencies.
>> For example, you can't install something like apache2-devel and add
>> php5, because php5 depends on the normal apache2.
>>
>> With multiple version per port this would be possible. But it
>> would also
>> require the introduction of new commands that allow a port to
>> depend on
>> at least a specific version of another port.
>>
>> We could mark the different versions as "stable" or "unstable". With
>> this approach we would get a better environment to test port upgrades
>> with beta versions or release candidates.
>>

> Being a simple maintainer, I would say that dependencies on specific
> version (à la debian "this software require thingy version > 2.2.17
> but
> it is not going to be installed") would make me unable to manage
> seriously my ports.

How would that make you unable to maintain your ports?
I don't understand your point.

> The not too untractable point however would be to introduce some
> metaports (for example, musicpd can be provided by mpd or mpd-dev),
> and
> dependencies would be put to the metaport instead of one of the
> providing ports. It can at the moment be achieved through the old
> dependency scheme (sthg like depends_lib bin:mpd:mpd-devel) but that
> scheme cannot discriminate between something provided by macports and
> something provided by apple or another source.
>
> Emmanuel

We can use path:${prefix}/bin/mpd:mpd, but how manage things like
postgresql8*?

For example, how could you easily set dependencies for packages such
as phpmyadmin and phppgadmin?
You can't.

--
Anthony Ramine, the infamous MacPorts Trac slave.
nox at macports.org