"port outdated" broken in trunk

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Oct 5 08:15:35 PDT 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Chris Pickel wrote:

> On 05 Oct, 2007, at 10:53, Kevin Ballard wrote:
>> Those two commits have nothing to do with this. I'm as mystified
>> by this as you are.
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> In trunk @29497 "port outdated" returns the list of outdated ports:
>>> However in trunk @29502 "port outdated" finds nothing:
>>> But is this change in behavior intentional?
>>>
>>> There were a couple commits made on trunk between r29497 and
>>> r29502 but they seemed to be related and were all made by eridius
>>> so that's as far as I felt like narrowing it down.
>
> I believe this is due to the API change in r29191 that changed from
> global_option_isset to macports::global_option_isset. Note that
> port.tcl:2349, which is responsible for setting ports_no_args, was
> unchanged.
>
> I'm not sure what the appropriate API for *setting* such values is,
> but I'm looking into it and should hopefully be able to commit a
> fix soon. Anyone with more info is welcome to contact me on irc.

Yes, it seems to be the change in usage of global_options that broke
this.

The port(1) code in port.tcl is written to assume global_options is
its own private variable (which it is: was). Note the use
global_options_base, too, from which global_options is reset during
processing of multiple commands.

James