Website & documentation updates

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Oct 15 01:45:52 PDT 2007

On Oct 14, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> Hi Juan

	Hello Simon!

>> This would be a really good move, kudos for taking the initiative!
>> Only
>> comment I'd like to make is: order does matter in this case, as
>> having at
>> least some documentation is better than none (even if
>> misplaced ;-). So
>> could removal of these wiki docs be performed only after the
>> corresponding
>> content has been added to the guide?
>
> I also thought so. I will notify you and the rest of the dev team
> when I made
> a change and then you can check if there is something missing
> before we remove
> the page from Trac.

	Unfortunately, I don't think we can't or should remove any page from
our trac portal as of yet, even if the new guide already has the
equivalent content written in, at least until we do at least a basic
swap of the old project homepage for the new one (wherefrom we
actually do link to the guide). I'm not, however, claiming we wait
until the new site is 100% done in order to move it in place -- it's
already progressing slow enough; on the contrary, I've been itching
to move it in ASAP, basically barring on Mac OS Forge services
migrations to new hardware. Once we have an acceptable and working
version of what's in svn's trunk/www as our project portal (which we
can always improve once it's up and running), then I do think we can
start tweaking our trac homepage to remove documents that have
already been written into the guide. I'll work to make that happen
this week if possible. So, in a nutshell, hold on just a bit ;-)

---snip---

> Last week I already checked one page, could you (and any other
> willing to
> help) please look if anything misses in the guide:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/InstallingMacPorts
>
> http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#installing

	Some notes relevant to the guide after skimming over it:

*) from section 2.1, step 2 in the listing reads "Run the binary
installer". To me, that phrase seems maybe unnecessarily technical
and therefore potentially confusing. I would instead just instruct
readers to run the "Installer Package" contained in the mounted disk
image.

*) in secttion 2.2.1, I object to the recommended procedure, editing
a system wide file under /etc. If I recall correctly, the goal of
launching a login shell from the start in X11 (the very first one
that greets you after launching X11.app) is equally accomplished by
simply creating a user specific ~/.xinitrc file that defines "xterm -
ls &" as the shell to run and then execs quartz-wm. So in a nutshell,
pretty much what the system wide xinitrc file already does with the
added "-ls" flags to xterm, with the very important difference that
system wide files are respected. The menu customization still needs
to be performed for new shells to be of login type too.

*) in section 2.4, a link to the "MacPorts source" only takes users
as far as svn's /downloads dir, while some magic could be used to
abstract an immutable path all the way down to the always-latest
release directory therein, just as I do in trunk/www/install.php
through variables defined in trunk/www/includes/common.inc. I'm sure
something similar can be done in docbook ;-) Using variables and
adapting them accordingly to our latest release would also, for
instance, give us always accurate instructions in the configure
sample code also given in section 2.4.

*) section 2.4.1, instructions to use a custom "--with-tclpackage"
switch need not urge the users to create the chosen path before hand
-- it'll be created at installation time just as the default /Library/
Tcl is.

*) in section 2.5, setting the bash shell (and in section 2.2.1.
Optional X11 Settings), it should be noted that the profile
containing the MacPorts paths is only created if one does not already
exist. Also there's talk of "MacPorts libraries", while I believe
that should be something like "MacPorts supplied programs and
libraries" (likewise for the "vendor-supplied" counterpart). Lastly,
don't claim that a "complete" profile will look as it is subsequently
shown, but rather explain that those are the only settings MacPorts
needs to function properly.

	Those are my notes for what's in the guide, I haven't had a chance
to review the Wiki doc and make sure that everything in the latter
made it into the former, though (will try after I wake up ;-). That
being out of the way, the next step should be, I believe, extending
the guide with whatever you may find relevant of what I put into
trunk/www/install.php and reduce this last one to intelligent cues
that lead the reader into the guide, so as to minimize documentation
redundancy.... but that can wait, however ;-)

	Overall, very nice work, kudos! Regards,...

-jmpp