Help: Adding System Accounts

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 00:16:59 PDT 2007

On Oct 21, 2007, at 6:43 PM, Ronald Valente wrote:

> I am trying to roll a setup for a server that cannot use MacPorts.
> How do I go about adding users. I have played with the dscl command
> and have create users that do not show up under the System
> Preferences > Accounts but my group wont stick when I go to chown
> the home directory. Any ideas? Here are the commands I am using.
>
> sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/nagios
>
> sudo dscl . -create /Groups/nagios
> sudo dscl . -create /Groups/nagios UniqueID 9000

	Groups don't have a "UniqueID" property in Darwin but rather
"PrimaryGroupID", as revealed by "dscl . -read /Groups/
<some_existing_group_like_www>".  I'm guessing chgrp(1) is looking
for the value of "PrimaryGroupID" for the group you're passing it and
failing when not finding it, so I'd try using it for your custom
groups and see if things work like that.

	HTH!

-jmpp