[30149] trunk/dports/gnome/gnome-doc-utils

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 22 23:51:35 PDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 01:09, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
>
>>> This is what we currently have, except for this new
>>> mandatory .diff suffix (that breaks Ports compatibility)
>>
>> You mean FreeBSD Ports? And, how do we break compatibility? Solely
>> with naming conventions?I wouldn't worry too much about that, as a
>> simple mv(1) is all that's needed to comply ;-) Or is there
>> something else that I'm not seeing?
>
> That's it, that's all.
>
> "README ? Who would know that it's a readable file, README.txt it is.
> Makefile ? sheesh, Makefile.mak. And what's this ? A program ? .exe !"
>
> File suffixes suck...

File suffixes are useful because they enable you to associate files
with applications by file extension. When I doubleclick a file called
"README" on my Mac it opens into TextEdit. I hate TextEdit and do not
wish to use it, but because the filename has no extension, I cannot
inform the OS that I would like it to open into TextWrangler instead.
Same with files named Portfile or Makefile or whatever else.