daemondo is not restarting processes that die

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Wed Oct 24 12:30:43 PDT 2007

James Berry <jberry at macports.org> writes:
>Mark, and others:
>
>In r30313 I've modified daemondo to use kqueue/kevent to watch for the
>death of the targeted process. This should catch the situation where
>we're watching for a grandchild process, for which we don't receive
>child death notices.
>
>Let me know if this helps.
>
>James

James,

It works!  I tested it on 10.4.  When I kill the process it starts again
immediately.  Thanks!  It helps me out a lot, and it will others I'm sure
as well.

If it weren't hard, perhaps it would be valuable to have the notification
of process death reported in the startupitem.logfile when present.  Or at
least if you agree with that.  Right now the only indication a process
died is by noting the "starting process" message in startupitem.logfile.
Not a big deal though.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Mark