daemondo is not restarting processes that die

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Wed Oct 24 21:46:14 PDT 2007

On Oct 24, 2007, at 12:30 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> James Berry <jberry at macports.org> writes:
>> Mark, and others:
>>
>> In r30313 I've modified daemondo to use kqueue/kevent to watch for
>> the
>> death of the targeted process. This should catch the situation where
>> we're watching for a grandchild process, for which we don't receive
>> child death notices.
>>
>> Let me know if this helps.
>>
>> James
>
> James,
>
> It works!  I tested it on 10.4.  When I kill the process it starts
> again
> immediately.  Thanks!  It helps me out a lot, and it will others I'm
> sure
> as well.

Great to hear.

> If it weren't hard, perhaps it would be valuable to have the
> notification
> of process death reported in the startupitem.logfile when present.
> Or at
> least if you agree with that.  Right now the only indication a process
> died is by noting the "starting process" message in
> startupitem.logfile.
> Not a big deal though.

By default, logs are requested at level 1 if you ask for the
startupitem.logfile.
So I've added some additional logging at level 1 that should make clear
when the process dies, as well as a couple of other cases (receipt of
SIGHUP and SIGTERM).

Let me know if that helps: r30335.

James