Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed Oct 31 06:58:23 PDT 2007

On Oct 31, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-10-31 12:26:44 +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:
>> On 31.10.2007, at 05:13, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>> I disagree. Port maintainers should test their port to see if they
>>> work with "make -j".
>>
>> Well, you cannot reliably test this. If you're lucky it might work
>> one time and fail the other.
>
> So, what do you suggest? Remain with sequential builds forever?

Vincent, are you just arguing for fun?

Markus suggested that maintainers be able to flag ports that they know
build fine with "make -j" so that macports can do parallel builds in
those cases. I think this is probably the best solution for our
current situation (it will cause the fewest problems while allowing
parallel builds where possible).

If you are very concerned with maximizing the possibility of parallel
builds, you're of course free to validate every port and contribute
updates. ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke