Speed up build phase with "make -j"

Markus Weissmann mww at macports.org
Wed Oct 31 07:04:45 PDT 2007

On 31.10.2007, at 12:36, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-10-31 12:26:44 +0100, Markus Weissmann wrote:
>> On 31.10.2007, at 05:13, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>> I disagree. Port maintainers should test their port to see if they
>>> work with "make -j".
>>
>> Well, you cannot reliably test this. If you're lucky it might work
>> one time and fail the other.
>
> So, what do you suggest? Remain with sequential builds forever?

No, but we should only enable parallel builds for software we know to
behave correctly. I wont kick you if you enable a parallel build for
a port that you maintain and you are not 100% sure that it'll work
_always_ -- the bug reports are yours. But I do not like 1.
unmaintained and 2. my ports to automatically try to build in
parallel -- and I suppose there are other maintainers that don't like
their ports to get broken, too.
Therefore I prefer this to be an opt-in and I will enable this
feature e.g. for the gcc ports I maintain.

-Markus

--
Markus W. Weissmann
http://www.mweissmann.de/