[28325] trunk/dports/graphics/wxWidgets-devel/Portfile

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Sat Sep 1 04:20:27 PDT 2007

On 31.08.2007, at 16:21, N_Ox wrote:

> Le 30 août 07 à 19:40, Anders F Björklund a écrit :
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Why do we keep repeating these lines in so many portfiles? Why
>>> isn't "configure.compiler gcc-4.0" the default on darwin 8, and
>>> similarly, "configure.compiler gcc-3.3" the default on darwin 7?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> If nothing else, it keeps those pesky "+darwin_8" variants alive. :-(
>>
>> --anders
>>

> I don't even understand why there is a default compiler hard
> written in ports.
> gcc-4 is the default on Tiger, users who change this behaviour
> surely know some things may break.

The problem is that a user can use 'gcc_select' and you have no idea
what 'gcc' .. executes on 10.4; if you know that your port is happy
with any of the two, dont use a platform statement. If you dont want
or dont can (e. g. on x86) to test your port with both compilers,
state explicitly which one you know it compiles with.
I have no idea what will happen to every single port if we tell port
to automatically select a compiler if none is requested explicitly
(though we can have a try).

Regards,

-Markus

---