Default compiler suite (was Re:[28325] trunk/dports/graphics/wxWidgets-devel/Portfile)

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Sat Sep 1 06:07:05 PDT 2007

On 01.09.2007, at 13:20, Weissmann Markus wrote:

> On 31.08.2007, at 16:21, N_Ox wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> If nothing else, it keeps those pesky "+darwin_8" variants
>>> alive. :-(
>>>
>>> --anders
>>>

>> I don't even understand why there is a default compiler hard
>> written in ports.
>> gcc-4 is the default on Tiger, users who change this behaviour
>> surely know some things may break.
>>

> The problem is that a user can use 'gcc_select' and you have no
> idea what 'gcc' .. executes on 10.4; if you know that your port is
> happy with any of the two, dont use a platform statement. If you
> dont want or dont can (e. g. on x86) to test your port with both
> compilers, state explicitly which one you know it compiles with.
> I have no idea what will happen to every single port if we tell
> port to automatically select a compiler if none is requested
> explicitly (though we can have a try).

'portconfigure.tcl' from trunk will chose a default for darwin 7/8/9
(gcc3.3/4.0/4.0). Please test it! Just replacing /opt/local/share/
macports/Tcl/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl with http://svn.macports.org/
repository/macports/trunk/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl manually
should do the trick.

This version also fixes a bug that when using configure.compiler
every user-added compiler selection (e.g. 'configure.cc /bin/true')
was overwritten.

-Markus

---
Markus W. Weissmann