Death of Hexley? ... was "Re(2): New website!"

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 2 11:54:47 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'm in favor of getting rid of Hexley. Never liked him. The goal of
> MacPorts should be to eventually appeal to any Mac user, and I don't
> feel that the image of a thing with devil horns and a pitchfork, no
> matter how cute or how lovingly rendered in Aqua style, is
> appropriate. :-/

Maybe it's because that the operating system itself has a userland that
is largely based on another such project with a mascot that has horns
and a pitchfork... Then again nowadays maybe the Dodo would be a better
symbol for the Darwin OS ? And there is always the "Hmmm. Interesting.
See, we was just wondering why it is you have the lord of darkness on
your chest there." *

None of this matters much to MacPorts, of course.

--anders

* see http://www.lemis.com/grog/whyadaemon.html