Death of Hexley? ... was "Re(2): New website!"

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Wed Sep 5 12:35:07 PDT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I'm in favor of getting rid of Hexley. Never liked him. The goal of
> MacPorts should be to eventually appeal to any Mac user, and I
> don't feel that the image of a thing with devil horns and a
> pitchfork, no matter how cute or how lovingly rendered in Aqua
> style, is appropriate. :-/

	I like Hexley, but don't want to use him moving forward simply
because he represents OpenDarwin, which is precisely the past we want
to move away from.

	And on the subject of an icon, I wasn't referring to something that
would be seen on, say, Portfiles from the Finder; that doesn't make
any sense for us at least for the time being (which will maybe change
once we have an Aqua GUI). I was instead referring to a renewed
project logo and/or mascot, something we can display on our new
website and elsewhere.

	In any case, the two don't have to be tied together (website
redesign & new log). We can always deal with content & website
functionality in an orthogonal manner from logo/mascot redesign,
which we can always place on top of already working pages later on...
and for which we could indeed have an open redesign contest!

	Any design mockups already? ;-)

	Regards,...

-jmpp