Binutils installation problem

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Sun Sep 2 21:57:35 PDT 2007

Le 1 sept. 07 à 01:26, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

>>> I work on a MacBook with Mac OS X 10.4 and with gcc 4.2.1
>>
>> Ah, OK... The Portfile is probably not set up to handle the
>> FSF GCC but assumes you are using the Apple GCC (/usr/bin/gcc).
>> If you have such a non-standard gcc in your path, then you'll
>> probably run into port problems with more than just binutils ?
>>
>> I suggest moving GCC 4.2.1 out of the default paths at least.
>> But the port should probably not add -cpp-precomp for new GCC,
>> and it will fail with the FSF GCC (including other platforms).
>> Not sure how to do it in Tcl, but could be done with "system".
>
> I have submitted a ticket:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/12584

I already commented on Trac. The binutils port is only there to
provide binutils programs in an Apple gcc environment.

It does not make sense to use MacPorts to install binutils for FSF
compilers. Chiara should either remove FSF compiler and retry or try
to compile an FSF-obtained version of binutils.

Paul
--
http://paul-guyot.com/