daemondo defeats purpose of launchd?

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Sep 4 07:02:28 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> writes:
>> Agreed. I try to avoid daemondo when possible. When it isn't
>> possible, daemondo is an indispensable tool, but it turns out that
>> for most cases, it's possible to avoid it. I've written many
>> launchd scripts on my own, several of which I've put online [1].
>>

>Thanks, I didn't even know about startupitem.executable. According to
>the new guide, it's the preferred startupitem method, but only 10
>ports currently use it! I'll have to look into it.

I didn't realize that daemondo couldn't keep daemons running that die.
Anyway, I just updated the new guide's startupitems section and
established some terms to distinguish between the different types.  See
what you think of it and if it is accurate.

http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#reference.startupitems

Mark