daemondo defeats purpose of launchd?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Sep 4 12:06:44 PDT 2007

markd at macports.org wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> writes:
>>> Agreed. I try to avoid daemondo when possible. When it isn't
>>> possible, daemondo is an indispensable tool, but it turns out that
>>> for most cases, it's possible to avoid it. I've written many
>>> launchd scripts on my own, several of which I've put online [1].
>>>
>> Thanks, I didn't even know about startupitem.executable. According to
>> the new guide, it's the preferred startupitem method, but only 10
>> ports currently use it! I'll have to look into it.
>
> I didn't realize that daemondo couldn't keep daemons running that die.
> Anyway, I just updated the new guide's startupitems section and
> established some terms to distinguish between the different types.  See
> what you think of it and if it is accurate.
>
> http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/#reference.startupitems

Looks good Mark.

It doesn't explain why one would use launchd or daemondo.  Is this the
appropriate place to put it, or is it described elsewhere?

Also, for startupitem.pidfile, the default is shown as

Default: none | ${prefix}/var/run/${name}.pid

is one for launchd and the other for daemondo?

Regards,
Blair