PLEASE READ: Whitespace rules

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Fri Sep 7 12:44:42 PDT 2007

* Why have rules for Portfiles? Isn't that the maintainer's prerogative?

Yes it is, which is why I marked those rules as SHOULD rather than
MUST. Having consistent rules for Portfiles aids reading of
Portfiles, especially if the Portfile is marked openmaintainer@ as
those are edited by multiple people. But if a maintainer prefers
their own style, they may use it.

* Last time we decided that developers working on base/ code should
conform to the surrounding style.

No we didn't. Last time one person loudly objected, and the
discussion eventually died without coming to any consensus. However,
having consistent style rules is very important. As it stands, every
single time I edit base/ code I have to worry about my tab settings
and I frequently have to go back and re-tab things to conform to the
surrounding style simply to avoid extraneous lines on the diff. This
is especially bad when the surrounding style itself isn't consistent.
Additionally, some code has tabstops of width 8 and most has tabstops
of width 4, so I can't even read some code without changing my own
tab width. There's a reason most open source projects have style rules.

* Why add modelines to files? I don't use vim/emacs so they're
useless noise.

vim and emacs are the two most common command-line editors, and they
(well, emacs) are also responsible for the 8-width tabs scattered
throughout the code as this is what emacs and possibly vim (I don't
remember anymore) defaults to. Since we have the power to explicitly
mark our files as wanting certain spacing rules in vim and emacs, we
should. If other popular editors supported modelines then we'd
consider adding rules for those, but I'm not aware of any other
popular editor which supports modelines. As for it being useless
noise, I disagree. All our files are already prefixed with license
text, so adding one more line of comment won't make any difference.
If it hadn't been pointed out you probably wouldn't have noticed.

* The modeline is greater than 78 characters, it should be split up.

True, it is larger than 78 characters, which is the traditional line
length to accommodate terminals. But our source isn't wrapped at 78
characters. If we ever establish a 78 character line length for our
source, then the modeline would have to be wrapped. In that case we
would split the vim modeline off from the emacs modeline.

* I like hard tabs, why can't I use those? Or: I prefer soft tabs of
size 2.

We absolutely need a consistent standard. The source is a complete
mess without one. Unfortunately, there's no single standard that will
please everybody, so we need to go with a common compromise. Soft
tabs were chosen in order to make it easier to read source code in
any editor. When hard tabs are used, the source looks different for
people who have tab size set to different lengths. This is a real
problem when tabs are mixed with spaces (as is common). You can open
a source file and see perfect indentation, and I can open a source
file and see nested scopes indented less than their parents. Soft
tabs ensures everybody sees the exact same indentation. As for a tab
size of 4, that was chosen as it's the most common tab size for
source code, and a standard is needed for this as well to ensure code
consistency when editing. A size of 2 would work just as well if
everybody agreed to it, but since 4 is more common, 4 is what was
chosen.

* Shouldn't we have a vote on this?

No we shouldn't. Every time we've tried to come to a consensus, the
issue has stalled. Therefore I'm going with a dictatorial approach on
this. The only way to get a good standard is to force it on
everybody, and we desperately need one.

* What about style rules for braces, etc?

We probably should write down rules for those, but there isn't really
a need at this point. Tcl disallows the statement-newline-brace
syntax favored by some C coders, and that tends to be the biggest
divide among coders on style rules. There may be other points of
contention, but they don't affect people anywhere nearly as much as
the whitespace rules. If someone wants to write up a style document
for the non-whitespace rules, please do send it to the list and we'll
have a vote.

* Wait, didn't you just say the dictatorial approach was better?

No, I said it was necessary. Voting is good, but voting didn't work
for whitespace, and we needed rules. But we aren't in desperate need
of other style rules, so voting is fine there.

* I have another question/complaint.

Please send it to me and I'll address it in another email.

-Kevin Ballard

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org