fetching from closer mirrors?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Sep 24 06:57:41 PDT 2007

On Sep 22, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> 1. How do we determine what continent a user is in? Automatically?
> (How?) Or the user specifies it manually? (Where, how?)

Just default to North America, it's close enough to the center of the
internet anyway (some networks only interconnect in the US, so
traffic will route there anyway). It's essentially the same as what
we have now.

For people on other continents who care - they can specify something
in the ports.conf file to prefer their continent. The fetch lists
would have to be sorted, and the fetch code modified to respect the
new conf key (with fallback to other sites as needed).

> And many, many ports do not use any servers in this list; they just
> specify a master site URL (or several URLs) directly.

And they would not benefit (I think that that's OK).

... anything more complicated than this is probably a waste of time.
(In fact, most networks currently don't have the same problems with
trans-oceanic connections that they used to)

... in any event, there's not much point in discussing this without a
patch to implement it ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke