libevent upgrades

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Apr 16 09:59:04 PDT 2008

Brett,

This is a dynamic library, the issue is that libevent renames the .dylib on each
version upgrade.  Maybe they change the ABI so this is a way to force dependents
to recompile?  I don't know off hand.

The current shared library is named

/Users/blair/my-macports/lib/libevent-1.4.2.dylib

and binaries that use it end up with this name in the binary:

$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/memcached
/opt/local/bin/memcached:
         /opt/local/lib/libevent-1.4.2.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
current version 3.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 88.3.10)

So an upgrade to libevent 1.4.3 presumably will remove that libevent-1.4.2.dylib
file.

I don't see how MacPorts should handle this problem gracefully.

Agreed that it is a pain to update all dependents.  Presumably a simple
recursive grep should be enough to find them all.

Regards,
Blair