p5-getopt-long requires force (was: Re: Can't install gnucash)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 7 13:53:08 PDT 2008

On Aug 7, 2008, at 11:25, Frank Schima wrote:

> I was trying to install gnucash without success. I got stuck on
> installing p5-getopt-long. This appears to be related to the following
> bugs:
>
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12710>
> <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/12875>
>
> Now I'm no perl guy but these seem like important bugs to fix because
> it makes MacPorts Perl look broken. Is there any progress on resolving
> these bugs?
>
> I know about forcing the install but I don't want the management mess
> associated with that and I don't consider that a fix. In any event,
> new users are certainly going to be put off by that.

The current situation is an inconvenience, but things can be made to
work.

When installing p5-getopt-long (and some others), use the -f flag to
force it to overwrite files from the perl5.{8,10} port.

When upgrading perl, it will complain that those same files are owned
by p5-getopt-long. In this case, you should first deactivate p5-
getopt-long, then upgrade perl, then activate p5-getopt-long
(forcibly) again.

A better fix for this situation that doesn't involve forcing would of
course be great.