MacPorts 1.7.0 without GSoC contributions

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 14 04:59:35 PDT 2008

Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:

> In general I think it is not good to hold back features, they should
> rather be there and usable once created.

There's plenty of features not being added to MacPorts just because
they would mix with daily usage of trunk since there is no stable...
Some of these are being held in private repositories or branches,
and some might simply not be implemented - in any reasonable pace.

Releasing something/anything would open up the experimentation again.
Or at least that is how it works in other projects, that do releases ?

> That said, I can understand Ryan's worry very well. There hasn't been
> a release in ages, and if the next release cycle is as long as the
> current one, the upcoming release better be good, not buggy.

Then something needs to be set up for testing ("Release Candidate"
or more like alpha/beta perhaps) this - sooner rather than later ?

I did some of the patches/coding that are in trunk currently, and
I've been over them with respect to release status before - and I
could do it again with a new release manager should it be needed...
But I do not want to take on that position myself, though. Sorry.

--anders