MacPorts 1.7.0 without GSoC contributions

Caspar Florian Ebeling florian.ebeling at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 07:57:14 PDT 2008

> Releasing something/anything would open up the experimentation again.

That's my hope as well.

>> That said, I can understand Ryan's worry very well. There hasn't been
>> a release in ages, and if the next release cycle is as long as the
>> current one, the upcoming release better be good, not buggy.
>
> Then something needs to be set up for testing ("Release Candidate"
> or more like alpha/beta perhaps) this - sooner rather than later ?

Didn't mean to scare anyone with my "better be good". The argument also
works the other way around, after all. If releases come more frequently,
the individual one need not be as perfect, because the next release gives
oppotunity to fix things. That's probably the rationale of "Release early,
release often." And if your changes are in trunk, then I'm quite confident
that they are well-tested already. I don't really see a need for a long Beta
since many people run trunk already, me included.

Florian

--
Florian Ebeling
florian.ebeling at gmail.com