MacPorts 1.7.0 without GSoC contributions

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Aug 14 14:32:54 PDT 2008

On Aug 14, 2008, at 09:57, Caspar Florian Ebeling wrote:

>> Releasing something/anything would open up the experimentation again.
>
> That's my hope as well.
>
>>> That said, I can understand Ryan's worry very well. There hasn't
>>> been
>>> a release in ages, and if the next release cycle is as long as the
>>> current one, the upcoming release better be good, not buggy.
>>
>> Then something needs to be set up for testing ("Release Candidate"
>> or more like alpha/beta perhaps) this - sooner rather than later ?
>
> Didn't mean to scare anyone with my "better be good".

Oh, I agree, 1.7.0 better be good. :) And I'm all for a release
candidate or two; we do, after all, need to test the dmg
installer's .profile creation code, which is not getting exercised by
any of us running self-compiled trunk builds.

> The argument also
> works the other way around, after all. If releases come more
> frequently,
> the individual one need not be as perfect, because the next release
> gives
> oppotunity to fix things. That's probably the rationale of "Release
> early,
> release often." And if your changes are in trunk, then I'm quite
> confident
> that they are well-tested already. I don't really see a need for a
> long Beta
> since many people run trunk already, me included.

That's why I want to release what we've been testing on trunk as
1.7.0, rather than include the untested (by me at least) GSoC
contributions which are about to get merged into trunk (as I
understand it).