Port shared-mime-info: remove dependency of perl5?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 3 17:40:15 PST 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 17:55, Rolf Würdemann wrote:

> The port shared-mime-info has an (Path) dependency on perl5 and an
> dependency
> on port p5-xml-parser. The port "p5-xml-parser" depends on perl5.8.

Actually p5-xml-parser is a member of the perl5 portgroup, which in
MacPorts 1.6.0 depends on perl5.8 but which in MacPorts 1.7.0 will
depend on perl5.

> On a an fresh installed macports (1.6) this can lead to problems
> (a2p) (see #17304,
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/17304), 'cause perl5 gets installed
> from p5-xml-parser.

Yes...

> I would like to remove the dependency from shared-mime-info.

Since shared-mime-info does have the line "configure.env-append
INTLTOOL_PERL=${prefix}/bin/perl" it appears that it really does want
to use perl itself, so it is proper to declare a dependency on perl....

> Any comments? (I know the discussion in #16830; http://
> trac.macports.org/ticket/16830)
> but gtk2 is an often used package.

If we release MacPorts 1.7.0 very soon, it's not an issue... We have
a beta of 1.7.0 out already. Not sure how long it will take to turn
that into release candidates and a final release.

Not sure what we should do here.