Port shared-mime-info: remove dependency of perl5?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Dec 3 19:02:04 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2008, at 17:55, Rolf Würdemann wrote:
>
>> The port shared-mime-info has an (Path) dependency on perl5 and an
>> dependency
>> on port p5-xml-parser. The port "p5-xml-parser" depends on perl5.8.
>
> Actually p5-xml-parser is a member of the perl5 portgroup, which in
> MacPorts 1.6.0 depends on perl5.8 but which in MacPorts 1.7.0 will
> depend on perl5.

>From perl5-1.0.tcl which shipped with MacPorts 1.6.0:
  set perl5.bin ${prefix}/bin/perl
  [...]
  depends_lib     path:${perl5.bin}:perl5.8

So as a workaround uninstalling perl5.8 and any p5-* port and then
installing perl5 before any p5-* port should satisfy this dependency.

If changing dependencies from perl5.8 to perl5 breaks ports, we should
delay the changes until 1.7.0 is out.

[...]
>> Any comments? (I know the discussion in #16830; http://
>> trac.macports.org/ticket/16830)
>> but gtk2 is an often used package.
>
> If we release MacPorts 1.7.0 very soon, it's not an issue... We have
> a beta of 1.7.0 out already. Not sure how long it will take to turn
> that into release candidates and a final release.
>
> Not sure what we should do here.

Either revert back to perl5.8 as dependency or make perl5 an "empty"
port with 'depends_lib port:perl5.8' only.

Rainer