[43132] trunk/dports/x11/xorg-libAppleWM/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 5 14:29:47 PST 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 16:09, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2008, at 13:44, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> If you're going to run autoreconf, you need to declare a build
>> dependency on the port that provides autoreconf...
>> That would be the autoconf port. Probably declaring a build
>> dependency on all three (autoconf, automake, libtool) is required.
>
> That's what that port:libtool dependency is for.  libtool depends
> on automake which depends on autoconf.  I didn't realize I needed
> to explicitly require all three. I'll update that.

libtool only has a build dependency on automake which only has a
build dependency on autoconf. That means as soon as automake is
installed, a user would be perfectly free to uninstall autoconf and
expect no problems. And once libtool is installed, the user would
expect to be able to uninstall automake with no problems. And
MacPorts will allow uninstallation of those ports with no complaints,
since those ports are not library or runtime dependencies but only
build dependencies. So if you want to use those ports to build
something, you need to declare build dependencies on them.

>> There was quite a lot of confusion around this with the libxml2
>> port; see r38015, r38175, r39322, r39551.
>>
>> And what's "-fvi" and is it really necessary? We have a preferred
>> method in MacPorts for running autoreconf, which currently is:
>
> force (assumes all files are too old and reinstalls them all)
> verbose (better debugging output)
> install (copies missing aux files to make autoconf not complain)
>
>> use_autoconf        yes
>> autoconf.cmd        autoreconf
>
> Does this trigger the dependencies as well, or do I need to
> explicitly do that?  I just copied this behavior from another port.

I'm not sure what you mean by triggering dependencies. I expect it
just runs "autoreconf". Is there more that's needed?

>> In MacPorts 1.7.0 you'll be able to just:
>>
>> use_autoreconf        yes
>
> And I assume there is a corresponding autoreconf.cmd, so I could
> set '-fvi' if needed?

There might be.

Is "-fvi" something unique to this port or should this change be made
in MacPorts base?