1.7.0 release candidate 1 available for testing

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 14:47:17 PST 2008

On Dec 8, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I also find it odd how the MacPorts installer runs selfupdate. You
> install, say, MacPorts 1.5.0 from DMG, and after it's done, you have
> MacPorts 1.6.0 on your hard drive. Strange behavior.

	Good point, the whole thing seems kinda sneaky. Changing it to
respect what you installed is as easy as switching to a `port sync`
call in the pkg's postflight script (base/portmgr/dmg/postflight), so
that at least your ports tree is up to date.

> Why don't we do what other software does to check for updates? When
> you run the port command, check with the MacPorts server to see if a
> new version of MacPorts is available, and if so, print a line
> notifying the user they should update. It would only check once a
> week of course, or rather at an interval configurable in
> macports.conf (where it could also be turned off entirely).

	Checking for new releases either against a central authority or your
rsync'd sources is fairly easy, as we would only need to poll (locally
or across the network) either of the base/config/
{mp_version,macports_version} files [1] and take appropriate actions.
Implementation details up for discussion, it wouldn't be at all
complicated, I'm sure.

	Regards,...

-jmpp

[1] cf. my soon-to-come commit correcting a couple of selfupdate
errors I introduced in r43375.