X11 checks in configure phase for some packages

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Dec 14 16:53:47 PST 2008

That is fixed in autoconf-2.63.  The m4 macro you are referring to is
AC_X_PATH.

If you see a port failing this, first check if it is REALLY failing.
Some ports do AC_X_PATH followed by some PKG_CONFIG checks for X11
(IMO, this itself is a bug since the PKG_CONFIG results are far
superior to the AC_X_PATH results)... but none the less, make sure the
port is actually failing to find X.  If it is misbehaving, you
probably need to:

depends_build port:autoconf # and probably port:automake and
port:libtool too
use_autoreconf yes

If that fails, you may need to do some autoreconf.env setting like:

autoreconf.env ACLOCAL="aclocal -I <some path the tarball stores m4
macros>"

See the x11/lesstif port.  That one was particularly annoying.

Setting '--x-include=${x11prefix}/include --x-lib=${x11prefix}/lib' is
not the best way to address that.

--Jeremy