[MacPorts] #14062: Website does not render properly in IE7

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Fri Dec 19 22:06:48 PST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2008, at 09:32, Marco Battistella wrote:
>
>> http://www.macports.com repose is correct, when "application/xhtml
>> +xml" is accepted the header response is  application/xhtml+xml and
>> when it is not the header response is text/html
>> for some reason when requesting http://www.macports.com/ports.php
>> the response is always application/xhtml+xml
>>
>> I re-adapted a small php script i had written some time ago to
>> allow to test the pages behavior with or without the Accept:
>> application/xhtml+xml header.
>>
>> The little script works from the command line like this:
>> $ php testGet.php -uri http://www.macports.org -accept ie7
>> or
>> $ php testGet.php -uri http://www.macports.org -accept safari
>> or
>> $ php testGet.php -uri http://www.macports.org/ports.php -accept ie7
>>
>> you get the point.
>> It is a "works in my machine" type of script but i don't see why it
>> should not work in yours as well ;-)
>> It will return the header and then the content.
>>
>> I am part of this thread because i had originally sent a
>> modification suggestion for this issue, i'm not a macports
>> developer or a macports website maintainer but I could have a look
>> at the code if you guys think it would help.
>> If so what path should i use to do a checkout with subversion
>> (without downloading the whole macport project, just the relevant
>> part of the site, please)....
>
> You can get the web site code here:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/www
>
> I haven't yet understood why I seem to be getting different behavior
> out of the different pages (and even different behavior of http://www.macports.org/
>  vs. http://www.macports.org/index.php ) when they're all including
> the same common code to handle the headers.

Getting consistent rendering with XHTML 1.1 is probably not worth the
effort. I doubt the site does anything requiring XHTML 1.1 anyway, so
why not just serve an HTML 4.01 page? There's a good WebKit blog post
[1] about this issue too.

-Bill

[1]  http://webkit.org/blog/68/understanding-html-xml-and-xhtml/