Forcing Macports libs for X11 (Was Re: Error installing xpdf with openmotif)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 28 01:36:22 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 02:58, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> This thread really should be on -dev, so I'm moving it here...
>
>>> If Xft2 in ${x11prefix} gets confused by using freetype in $
>>> {prefix} then we should be using Xft2 in ${prefix}, which I would
>>> think we should be doing anyway because it's newer too.
>>
>> Well then where do you draw the line?  Should we start forcing
>> libX11 in macports because it's newer?  I'd be all for forcing
>> Macports X11 libs over system X11 libs, since it would throw all
>> of these issues (.la-fu, dependencies pulling in conflicting
>> libX11s (#17558), header-mixup-fu, ...) out the window!
>
> I'm sorry if this starts a major flame war, but this needs to be
> brought up. Mixing system and macports libs for X11 causes too many
> problems.

By all means! We should figure this situation out. I came to MacPorts
after this decision was already in place. But it seemed like a good
decision to me because Apple's X11.app worked well on Tiger and the
alternative provided by the XFree86 port had some oddities. I never
tried the xorg variety. In any case you could only choose to have one
of the three because they all installed to ${x11prefix}.

I think you're now changing it so xorg installs in ${prefix}, so it
xorg could coexist with Apple X11?

Will using xorg mean I would open an xorg-provided X11 app instead of
Apple's X11.app, and if so, would it work the same as Apple's?