Forcing Macports libs for X11 (Was Re: Error installing xpdf with openmotif)

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 28 01:51:32 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:58:45AM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston said:
> This thread really should be on -dev, so I'm moving it here...
>
>>> If Xft2 in ${x11prefix} gets confused by using freetype in ${prefix}
>>> then we should be using Xft2 in ${prefix}, which I would think we
>>> should be doing anyway because it's newer too.
>>
>> Well then where do you draw the line?  Should we start forcing libX11 in
>> macports because it's newer?  I'd be all for forcing Macports X11 libs
>> over system X11 libs, since it would throw all of these issues (.la-fu,
>> dependencies pulling in conflicting libX11s (#17558), header-mixup-fu,
>> ...) out the window!
>
> I'm sorry if this starts a major flame war, but this needs to be brought
> up.  Mixing system and macports libs for X11 causes too many problems.
> Here are the two that stand out in my head most:

Then my question is can we cleanly build a full X11 out of MacPorts
currently?  Or are you not referring to all X11 libs, like libX11.6?

[...]
> Furthermore, I suggest we create a +system_x11 variant to all of the X11
> lib packages which would cause them to just be stubs, so people could
> continue to use their system X11 by enabling that variant...

Wouldn't that then get right back to your point of moving away from it in
the first place?  Many people probably would prefer to use that variant to
avoid building "unnecessary dependencies" so we'd end up back to the current
situation.

Bryan

[...]