Forcing Macports libs for X11 (Was Re: Error installing xpdf with openmotif)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Sun Dec 28 02:18:32 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 01:51, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

>> I'm sorry if this starts a major flame war, but this needs to be
>> brought
>> up.  Mixing system and macports libs for X11 causes too many
>> problems.
>> Here are the two that stand out in my head most:
>
> Then my question is can we cleanly build a full X11 out of MacPorts
> currently?

Yeah... as for a server, do 'sudo port -v install xorg-server' ...
There might be a couple libs that aren't yet (just because I haven't
audited the list to make sure they're all here... but all the common
ones are).  The main packages not in Macports yet are fonts and base
applications (xdpyinfo, xset, etc...)

<snip/>

>> Furthermore, I suggest we create a +system_x11 variant to all of
>> the X11
>> lib packages which would cause them to just be stubs, so people could
>> continue to use their system X11 by enabling that variant...
>
> Wouldn't that then get right back to your point of moving away from
> it in
> the first place?

Not exactly.  The main problem we're facing is when some libs link
against ${prefix}/lib/libX11.dylib and other libs link against $
{prefix}/lib/libX11.dylib ... this variant would work around that
problem (assuming the user doesn't toggle the variant at some point
without rebuilding dependent packages) because it would force all libs
and executables we install to link against the same lib.