how to commit ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 1 15:25:25 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 16:55, John Owens wrote:

> OK, hate to admit this, but I'm ready to make a
> change to a portfile and, with the permission
> of the port maintainer, am ready to check
> into svn. But I don't know how, and I can't
> find any docs on macports.org on how to do this.
> I've used svn before ...
>
> What is the server? (svn.macports.org?)

You can use either of these:

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports
http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports

> What is the path (just /trunk/...)?

Ports are in /trunk/dports

> Log in with my macports id? username or
>   username at macports.org?

Your macports.org email address.

> Is there any way to do this without having
>   to check out a working copy (I'd rather just
>   change a Portfile and the Portindex locally,
>   check it works, and then check in the Portfile
>   back into trunk)?

You don't need to do anything to the portindex. You just need to
modify the portfile, test, and when you're sure it works, commit it.
You do need a working copy to commit changes to files. Personally I
just changed my dports tree from an rsync update to a subversion
working copy and use that. Yes, you will be checking in to trunk/
dports. (The dports don't live anywhere except in trunk, and really
they belong outside of trunk, but rearranging that at this point is
complicated and nobody has felt it worth the effort yet, though jmpp
did bring it up at one point.)

> Good doc to have on the wiki.

I agree we need documentation on this. I'd prefer it in the MacPorts
guide, not the wiki. Someone just needs to write it.