[33639] branches/release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat Feb 2 00:31:54 PST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 2:46 AM, jmpp at macports.org wrote:

> Revision
> 33639
> Author
> jmpp at macports.org
> Date
> 2008-02-01 23:16:35 -0800 (Fri, 01 Feb 2008)
> Log Message
>
>  * Use dscl(1) to detect the default shell for the installing user,
> rather than trying to infer it from the inherited environment
>    (which did not reflect the user's at all, as it is entirely
> imposed by Installer.app when the pkg is used in real life). Thanks
>    to Ryan on macports-dev for the original suggestion!
>
>  * Provide a little more information about the shell we detected.
>
> NOTE: I tested this edited script through a test pkg on Leopard and
> it works, both when used from an account with a bash shell and
> from one with a tcsh shell. If anyone cares to test on Tiger and/or
> Panther, they should contact me so I can hand them the pkg, thanks!
> In any case, I'm feeling confident it'll work consistently this time
> round to detect the shell type, given the nature of the dscl
> operation.

	As you can see from the diff in this commit, I used an alternate
method to get the sole shell name (awk). But in any case, the all work
and produce the same output, as discussed on IRC earlier today, it's
only a matter of taste.

	I've put together a test dmg that has the latest /branches/
release_1_6/base/portmgr/dmg/postflight in it, available at the
following URL:

http://apollo.homeunix.net/macports/downloads/MacPorts-1.6.1.dmg

	Appreciate it if anyone has a chance to help me test it, per my
commit log above. Tiger and Panther reports would be great!

	Regards,...

-jmpp

PS: Note that the MacPorts code in the installer is not necessarily
what 1.6.1 final will be, I exported a tarball off the branch some
days ago (so it's definitely not current wrt trunk and may even not be
current wrt the branch itself. I'm only interested here in the
behavior of the postflight script when run from within Installer.app
(which is what was crippling the $SHELL evn variable detection).