how to commit ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 1 16:29:22 PST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 18:11, John Owens wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:
>
> + + Is there any way to do this without having
> + +   to check out a working copy (I'd rather just
> + +   change a Portfile and the Portindex locally,
> + +   check it works, and then check in the Portfile
> + +   back into trunk)?
> +
> + You don't need to do anything to the portindex. You just need to
> + modify the portfile, test, and when you're sure it works, commit it.
> + You do need a working copy to commit changes to files. Personally I
> + just changed my dports tree from an rsync update to a subversion
> + working copy and use that. Yes, you will be checking in to trunk/
> + dports. (The dports don't live anywhere except in trunk, and really
> + they belong outside of trunk, but rearranging that at this point is
> + complicated and nobody has felt it worth the effort yet, though jmpp
> + did bring it up at one point.)
>
> First, can you expand on *exactly* what you do here (rsync->svn),
> and second, does anyone have any other methods? Good to collect
> methods that work. :)

In order to commit things to the repository, I need a working copy. I
tend to work all over the repository, including my own several dozen
ports, tickets for nomaintainer ports, cleanup involving several
ports at once, even the occasional change to the documentation, web
site or the base code. I checked out the entire trunk to my home
directory:

svn checkout http://svn.macosforge.org/repository/macports/trunk ~/
macports

If you don't plan to work on anything but ports, you can just
checkout trunk/dports.

Then I edited /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf and removed the line

rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/

and added the line

file:///Users/rschmidt/macports/dports/

Now when I "port sync" it uses my Subversion working copy instead of
connecting via rsync. This means I also instantly get changes,
instead of having to wait for the rsync server to synchronize itself
with the repository, which it only does every 30 minutes.