*-devel ports

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Mon Feb 4 06:56:12 PST 2008

On 2008-02-04 07:52:44 -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008, at 06:51, js wrote:
>> What's happen after -devel port get officially released?
>> are they removed from svn?
>
> Some maintainers do that. I think most just leave the -devel ports
> around.

I think that both choices are a bad idea, i.e. that -devel ports are
a bad idea. IMHO, there should be stable ports and "latest" ports; by
"latest", I mean with all the latest features (e.g. with the highest
version number): in general, this is a development version, but for
some periods of time, this can be (stable or not) releases, in which
case the stable port and the "latest" can sometimes be the same. This
is not a problem, and this avoids the user having to switch between
the stable and the -devel port; and there's no point to stay with an
outdated RC once the corresponding release has been done.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>