Marking default variants

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Feb 6 21:21:44 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:39, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I have been adding "(default)" to the ends of descriptions of all
>> variants which are enabled by default. I think it's very clear --
>> much clearer than an asterisk.
>
> It is not possible to put "(default)" behind each variant in port
> info, do you agree on that? And if we choose a mark it should be
> consistent.

I personally am being consistent in using "(default)" at the end of
variant descriptions, when there are a group of conflicting variants
(e.g. radio buttons). That is, if I remember to put anything at all,
that's what I put. I may have forgotten to put it in some of my
ports. I agree it would be better if MacPorts base would figure this
out and mark it for us. Then I could remove this from the portfiles.