*-devel ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 7 12:00:36 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 09:10, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2008-02-07 15:21:41 +0100, Thomas de Grivel wrote:
>
>> 2008/2/7, Ryan Schmidt:
>>
>>> It was proposed that -devel ports should be updated to the latest
>>> stable version, if the latest stable version is newer than the
>>> latest
>>> development version. If we act on this proposal, then "-latest" is
>>> more intuitive than "-devel".
>>
>> Ok I see the point. In other terms it is a pointer to a stable or
>> -devel  version of the same port, like a virtual package depending on
>> the right one ?
>
> Yes, more or less.

Actually no, I was not intending for there to be any virtual packages.

Let's do an example. The way it is now, "mysql5" is the latest
released version of MySQL (5.0.51) and "mysql5-devel" is the latest
development version (5.1.22-rc). Let us now assume for the sake of
this example that the next version of MySQL that is released is
5.1.25 and it is considered a released version. To follow our current
practices, "mysql5" will be updated to 5.1.25 and "mysql5-devel" will
not be updated and will remain at 5.1.22-rc, until a development
version of MySQL 5.2 is released. Or maybe it will switch to version
6.0 at that point.

The proposal is that when the hypothetical stable version 5.1.25 is
released, "mysql5" will be updated to 5.1.25, and "mysql5-devel" will
also be updated to 5.1.25. Both ports will then be identical until
the next development release.