linking for dummies

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Fri Feb 15 15:40:44 PST 2008

>> I have an app where
>>
>> "-lgcc_s.10.5 -lgcc -lSystem"
>>
>> is getting appended at the end of the stuff getting linked, and I can't
>> figure out where this is coming from.† It appears to me that gcc is
>doing
>> it on its own.†† Instead of the linker item "-lrrd" normally appearing
>at
>> the end, instead I see it in the middle like this:
>>
>> "-lrrd -lgcc_s.10.5 -lgcc -lSystem"
>>
>> and I'm told that is a problem.† But I can't for the life of me see the
>> Makefile doing anything that would cause this.† Does anyone know how
>this
>> extra stuff gets added on, or how to make "-lrrd" go on the end of the
>> linker line?
>
>The compiler appends these, you do not normally want it not to. Are you
>†seeing errors because of this?

Thanks for the reply.  It appears that the problem was not the addition of
 "-lgcc_s.10.5 -lgcc -lSystem" (only seen in verbose gcc mode), but the
inclusion of the "-lrrd".  I've never tried verbose mode before so it was
unfamiliar to me.  For some reason the "-lrrd" was unncessary.  I'm
following up with the developer to see if a source fix is in order.

BTW, is there a way to turn on gcc verbose mode with a MacPorts flag?

Mark