Splitting the guide

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Feb 16 16:32:09 PST 2008

markd at macports.org wrote:
> Well I agree it is really too big, but on the other hand we hated to split
> it and have cumbersome "forward" and "back" buttons.  Also it makes
> searching easier in one page, but then I suppose indexing might solve
> that.  But then maybe a page for each chapter wouldn't be too bad.  I
> guess we should experiment and see how it looks and drives.

It would be nice to have at least the chapters on seperate pages.
Also, many other projects offer both versions. A single page HTML
version and multiple pages HTML version. Wouldn't be much work, just
generating them both with different stylesheets would take longer...

But as we are talking about the guide, I might also bring up another
issue with the current presentation. I find it difficult to link to
specific headlines. Could the headlines made clickable with a link
target on themself? Or maybe some marker item on mouse-move like trac
does? At the moment I always look into the source to find out how the
anchor was named which is a little bit annoying. Consider this as a
nice-to-have issue ;-)

I already looked into the generation scripts for this, but it seems to
use a xslt stylesheet provided completely by docbook, so I don't know if
I would have to file my request there...

Rainer