universal flags and configuration

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 22 07:15:14 PST 2008

On Feb 22, 2008, at 05:25, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Previously, I wrote:
>
>> - universal_target
>>   # for setting macosx_deployment_target and configure target
>>   Default: 10.4
>>
>> - universal_sysroot
>>   # the SDK "sysroot" to use, normally for the -isysroot flag
>>   Default: /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>>
>> - universal_archs
>>   # machine architectures to use, can be more than just one
>>   Default: ppc i386
>
>> The additions means that it will now cross-compile when necessary,
>> and that +universal target is meant to generate similar binaries*.
>> * this default is a change from MacPorts 1.6.0, that used 10.5 SDK
>>   on Leopard and 10.4u SDK on Tiger (but is the same as in 1.5/1.4)
>
> I changed the above defaults back to the same as on MacPorts 1.6.0,
> except that it is now configured at compiletime (in macports.conf).
>
> So it will now again use /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk on Leopard,
> and /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk on Tiger and avoid cross-compile.
>

> This implicitly also fixes the issues were the wrong MDT was being
> passed to GCC, even if it now passes an extra -mmacosx-version-min
>
> As before, cross-compiling is not going to be supported this way
> since the variants (like +darwin_8 and +i386) will all be wrong.

I don't really understand why this was changed yet again. I renew my
objection, which is that a port built with +universal on Leopard
won't work on Tiger (but the same port built with +universal on Tiger
will work on Leopard). Doesn't this defeat part of the purpose of
universal?

> Merge support still needs to be added for +universal to work OK,
> but I'm not going to continue that Summer-of-Code 2007 project...

mww has already rewritten the summer-of-code merge.rb script into the
merge tcl function which is already in trunk.